The original idea for the Baboon Saloon came about after we got fed up with leafing through cocktail books to find ones that we could make with the ingredients we had to hand - a job that got progressively harder as the night wore on, as you can imagine! What we needed was an interactive database of cocktails that would suggest only the drinks that we could make with what we had.
It quickly became clear that we would have to make a decision between the purist approach to cocktails, which requires specific brands of ingredients for specific drinks, or a more generic attitude, which would allow for a greater number of cocktails to be made with the same ingredients. For example, an authentic "7&7" should be made with 7 Crown Canadian whisky and 7UP Soda, although we'd suggest that you could make a similar drink with any good Canadian whisky and any lemon & lime soda. Also, as this site is aimed at home users (i.e. us!), it's unlikely that they would have 12 different varieties of every ingredient just in case a specific one was required. We took the generic approach.
There are only a few simple steps to using this site:
- Tick off all the items you have in the "Ingredients" list - go through the whole list as there are a lot of items that you may not expect, such as pepper and milk. If you see an unfamiliar ingredient, click on it for an explanation and possible alternatives. Listing the ingredients by popularity is a good way to work out what item you should get next, but remember to save any changes before switching between views.
- Save the list - this will only work if you have not disabled cookies in your browser. The cookie is a tiny file that's stored on your computer to hold your personal ingredients list so that you don't have to re-input it every time you visit our site. Absolutely no other information is kept in the cookie.
- Click on the "Your Drinks" link. You'll get a tailored list of all the cocktails you can make. If you can't decide which one to make, click on the "Rhesus Roulette" image and we'll select one at random for you. You can also narrow down the choices by selecting specific types of drinks, ingredients and keywords.
- That's it!
You can also browse the entire database by clicking on the "All Cocktails" link - it works in exactly the same way, but shows every cocktail we have, as opposed to only those you can make with your ingredients.
We'd like the database to grow so we've included a form for you to submit your own favourite cocktails and be credited for it, if you want (although you won't be paid!). We decided not to add the submitted drinks to our database automatically as there are plenty of people out there who think that putting "1 bucket of dog poo" or something similar as an ingredient is just hilarious - yours truly is one of them! We'll check over all the submissions and put them on the site as we get them.
The Baboon Saloon has been researched, developed, scripted, constructed, illustrated and tested (repeatedly!) by Dorian and Sue Fabre, who live near Reading, England. The name came from an internet-based rhyming dictionary - which also suggested "Disease Of The Skin Inn"!
Contact us at email@example.com
We're currently developing a board game based on alcoholic failure - after a few trial runs it's looking pretty good but still needs to be illustrated so it may be a while... Thanks to Jen Harmson and Colin Halliday for being the willing - if somewhat inebriated - guinea pigs that they are. We'll let you know how to get a copy as soon as it's done; just keep visiting the site!
- Excessive consumption of alcohol can damage your health. Never drink more than you feel comfortable with.
- Any consumption of alcohol can impair your judgement. Never drink and drive.
- There is plenty of aid available for people with alcohol dependancy problems - so please use them if you have any concerns. For more information, visit drinkaware.co.uk